Surprising Shift in the BLACK FRIDAY BATTLEGROUND
The winners and losers in the Battle of Black Friday
Black Friday Turned in Record-Setting Results…Online!
The Madness Of Black Friday In Numbers.
- 30% of annual retail sales occur between Black Friday and Christmas. For some retailers, such as jewelers, it is even higher-nearly 40 percent.
- $5B American shoppers spent a record $5 Billion in 24 hours this year. That marks a 16.9% increases in dollars spent online compared with last black Friday 2016!
Online Sales Boomed on Black Friday 2017
- Amazon sold more than 200K toys in just the first 5 of the day.
- Amazon dominates BLACK FRIDAY with over 35% of online sales.
- Online spending in the US topped US $ 1M per minute.
- Online sales from November totaled almost $31B this year.
- Mobile revenue reached $1.4B
- Online spending Thanksgiving went up 29% this year compared to 2016.
- Phones accounted for 46% of all retailer traffic.
The History of Black Friday
- Black Friday has become a marketing sensation.
- It has been the busiest shopping day of the year since 2005.
- The name “Black Friday” started in Philadelphia in the 60s.
- Bus drivers and police used “Black Friday” to describe the heavy traffic that would clog city streets the day after Thanksgiving as shoppers headed to the stores.
- Also, in accounting terms, losing money is called being “in the red” because accountants traditionally used red ink to show negative amounts while profits were usually shown in black ink.
Some retailers are dependent on holiday shopping to turn a profit for the year; for others, it is a day when they definitely make bigger—and that’s a lot of black ink!
Black Friday ZOMBIE Shoppers
- 87% of shoppers are planning on heading to stores.
- Younger shoppers aged 18-19 are more likely to shop online.
- 23% of shoppers plan to do most of their holidays shopping before Thanksgiving,
- 51% will shop early December,
- 15% will do most of their shopping on Black Friday,
- 10% the week before Christmas.
- 59% were Female
- 41% were Male
Most Popular Items Sold on Black Friday 2017
The competition this year is so fierce, stores are innovating new ways to get your dollar.
Brand / Products
- Air Pods
- PJ Masks Toys
- O.L. Surprise Toys
- Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon
- Nintendo Switch
- Xbox One X
The FBI reported 203,000 background checks for gun sales on Friday.
The CHAMPIONS Among Retailers
- Target’s teddy bears were a hit again. They sold about 600 every minute.
- Amazon claimed between 45% and 50% of all online Black Friday sales
- Walmart got 10% of online spending
Why are shoppers shifting from offline to digital?
- Online shoppers do not need to fight the crowds.
- Better variety online
- 24-hours availability
- Easier to find what they want
How To Get The Best Deals This Holiday Season
- Don’t focus on one day only
- Use mobile apps to get alerts on the best deals
- Compare prices
- Get socials
- Draft a list take it with you
- Avoid impulse buys
Keep calm and learn to say “NO”
How to Survive Holiday Shopping [Literally]
2 People lost their lives on black Friday last year and a total of 5 were injured this year.
How to Stay Safe When Shopping
- If you’re driving between multiple stores, put purchases in your car.
- Make sure cell phones are powered on, fully charged, and accessible.
- watch your feet while you are walking as it’s easy to trip and fall in a big crowd.
- Keep your purse or wallet close to your body
- Don’t argue or fight over an item
- Save your receipts and monitor your credit card activity
- Plan a designated meetup time and place if shopping with someone else