A Guide to Fortnite Battle Royale
What is a Battle Royale?
- Online survival action game
- Skills learned include strategic thinking, creativity, planning and teamwork.
- Violent, but not gory: more cartoonish.
- Conversation points: Crisis management, teamwork, emergency preparedness.
100 players jump out of a purple flying bus onto an island.
- Hidden around the island is loot weapons (crossbows, rifles, grenade launchers) and building material to build defenses.
- Players arm themselves, fight, hide and build defenses. Periodically, the playing area shrinks and people are pushed closer together.
The last survivor is the WINNER!
Meteoric Rise in Followers
Huge rise in followers:
- 126M: $126 millions in Revenue in February 2018
- 30M: Gained over 30 millions players in less than 3 months!
- 2M: People have played the game at the same time
- 5M: Made more that $5 millions in it’s first 10 days on mobile.
Why is it so Popular and Addictive?
- It’s free and easy to access.
- Silly and fun (bright graphics, silly loot like space suits and dinosaur outfits).
- Can compete solo, duo or squad with a team of friends. Can form Fortnite teams
- Fun to watch as well as play (most watched game on Twitch).
- Available on PC’ Xbox and PlayStation.
- Short cycles: each game is about 20 minutes long. So if you lose you can have the option to redeem yourself quickly.
- New items, features, play modes are added weekly.
Mike’s Gear Reviews Tips
- Try it! One of the best things you can do to start the conversation is to play the game and see why it’s so fun.
- Ask them about it. What their experience is of it. Who they play with.
- Use it as a conversation starter about survival and staying safe.